The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures Education Department has created and compiled these resources for families, teachers, chaperones, and life-long learners to use at home, in the classroom, or during a museum visit.
Resources for Home Use
Our How To tutorials are scale miniature projects for beginners. Visit our How To page to view projects and instructions.
Minis Magnified are a series of articles about artifacts in our collection. Access our archive of 60 articles on our Collection Page.
Unlock additional information about artifacts in our collection with our web-based audio Mini Tours. Our audio tours are available in English, Spanish, and Audio Described for people with vision impairments. Visit our Audio Tours page to select a tour.
Kid Create is a monthly program for school-aged children to introduce them to the art of making miniatures. We have created sets of instructions for past projects that adapt well to home use. Access them from the Kids Create at Home section here.
Bring a little of the museum home with these Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures coloring pages. Click on the image to download or print the pdf.
Resources for Educators
The museum offers school tours aligned with Arizona Common Core Standards. Schools may elect to take a docent-led tour or self-guided tour. Funding is available for admission and transportation. Visit our School Tours page for more information.
These lesson plans have been adapted from our Museum Classroom Outreach program.
An Introduction to Scale and Ratios
Sign Up for Our Educator E-News
Imagine...Explore...Discover... is our educator e-newsletter. Sign up to receive new resources and special offers just for educators.
Explore the World of Miniatures
Want to get involved with the art of miniatures? Here are some of the local and national miniature clubs and affiliations in the United States:
TMS – the Tucson Miniature Society
Small World Miniature Club, Phoenix Arizona
NAME – the National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts
IGMA – the International Guild of Miniature Artisans
Here are some fun places to enjoy miniatures across the United States. Check back as we are adding sites to see internationally. Have something to add? We would love to know! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ava Maria Grotto, Coleman, AL
- The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures, Tucson, AZ
- Thorne Miniature Rooms at Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, AZ
- Tiny Town, Hot Springs, AR
- Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum, Carlsbad, CA
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum, San Diego, CA
- Storybook Land Canal Boats at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA
- Model Town at Living Desert Zoo and Gardens, Palm Desert, CA
- Legoland California, Carlsbad, CA
- Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys, Denver, CO
- Denver HO Model Railroad Club, Depot Museum, Colorado Railraod Museum, Jefferson County, CO
- Tiny Town, Morrison, CO
- Model Train Display at Danbury Railway Museum, Danbury, CT
- World’s Largest Littlest Big Top at Ringling Museum, Sarasota, FL
- The Suncoast Center for Fine Scale Modeling, Odessa, FL
- Legoland Florida, Winter Haven, FL
- Miniature Train and Village at the Germany Pavilion in Epcot, Bay Lake, FL
- Sleepy Hollow – Whimsical Fairy Garden, Blairsville, GA
- Colleen Moore’s Fairy Castle at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, IL
- The Great Train Story at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, IL
- Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club, Chicago, IL
- Thorne Miniature Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- The Charlotte M. Smith Collection of Miniature Books at the University of Iowa library, Iowa City, IA
- Kansas in Miniature at Exploration Place, Wichita, KS
- The Great American Dollhouse Museum, Danville, KY
- KSB Miniatures Collection, at the Kentucky Gateway Museum Center, Maysville, KY
- Greater Baton Rouge Model Railroaders at Republic of West Florida Historical Museum, Jackson, LA
- The New Orleans Train Garden, New Orleans, LA
- Mini Village, Stonington, ME
- Miniature Mechanical Parables at Boothbay Railway Village Exhibits, Boothbay, ME
- Animals of the World in Miniature at Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, MA
- Court Cupboard at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
- Midwest Miniatures Museum, Hickory Corners, MI
- Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum, Gulfport, MS
- Train Exhibit at Mississippi Rails Agricultural Transportation Museum, Jackson, MS
- The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures, Kansas City, MO
- Miniature Museum of Greater St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- Union Station Model Train Exhibit, Kansas City, MO
- The Kruger Collection, College of Architecture at University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- Northlandz, Flemington, NJ
- Tinkertown Museum, Sandia Park, NM
- D. Thomas Fine Miniatures, Yonkers, NY
- Gulliver’s Gate, New York, NY
- Miniature Train Layout at Medina Railroad Museum, Medina, NY
- North Carolina Museum of Dolls, Toys & Miniatures, Spencer, NC
- Meredith’s Miniatures at High Point Museum, High Point, NC
- Entertrainment Junction, West Chester, OH
- Roadside America, Shartlesville, PA
- The Anne S. K. Brown Military Collection at Brown University library, Providence, RI
- Forde Doll & Dollhouse Collection at the Hampton House B&B, Walterboro, SC
- Deadwood Model Train, Deadwood, SD
- Thorn Rooms at Knoxville Museum of Art, Knoxville, TN
- Town Mountain Miniature Museum, Bandera, TX
- Toys, Dolls, Dollhouses, and Automata, Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, VT
- The R. Lee Taylor Miniatures Collection at Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Winchester, VA
- Doll’s House at The National Museum of American History, Smithsonian, Washington, D.C.
- Toy Train Barn, Argyle, WI