Portfolio Category: The Enchanted Realm

Snow Village, Department 56, 1980s

The Snow Village under glass in the museum’s Enchanted Realm is a collection of Department 56 lighted buildings and accessories collected by Pat Arnell in the 1980s. These porcelain miniature houses are thoughtfully created using hand craftsmanship and artistry. It takes over sixty steps to create each individual building. Exhibit designer Mike Spiewak was inspired…
Read more

The Hatchling Apprentice, Pat Arnell, 1998

Museum founder Pat Arnell designed the Hatchling Apprentice using a glass conservatory created by Linda Young, known professionally as Lady Jane. Lady Jane constructs her display cases, miniature greenhouses, and miniature conservatories of glass, combining 1/8" double strength clear with accents of stained art glass, Lady Jane uses the "Tiffany" method of foil and solder.…
Read more

Bone-A-Part’s Bistro, Pat Arnell, 2003

The unfinished building for the Bistro was a Houseparty gift at the 2003 National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts Convention. Pat Arnell decided to create a Halloween themed café from the kit.
Read more

Cauldron Coven, Pat Arnell, 1984-1998

This miniature was built by Pat Arnell from Real Good Toys kits for a Victorian House. Pat began the project in 1984 and completed the final tower in 1998. The Internal parts of the house were redesigned to facilitate the witches’ needs. This was a kit-bashing project. None of the doors from the kit were…
Read more

Dark Side of the Moon: Antiques and Oddities, Ron and April Gill, 2013

The Gills were inspired to create this boutique by the Science Channel’s program Oddities in which people collect unusual objects. The program gave the Gills a unique perspective. Rather than creating a typical antique shop filled with furniture and everyday items, they decided to create a one-of-a-kind shop filled with items featuring taxidermy, insects, skeletons…
Read more

Kewpie Collection, Rose O’Neill, early 20th Century

When an enterprising young woman named Rose O’Neill (1874–1944) dreamed up the first Kewpies nearly a century ago, she little realized her cute creations would usher in an era of cartoon character merchandise and marketing tie-ins that would become a global industry. O’Neill, an artist and writer, started illustrating for magazines such as Collier’s and…
Read more

Academy of Enchantment, Ron and April Gill, 2002

This fairy and dragon school was made by Ron and April Gill to accompany the Forget-Us-Not Fairy Castle. It includes a ring for flight training and a special fire proof tunnel where the dragons can practice fire shooting. The school room features toad stools for seating and a slide for play. On the wall there…
Read more

Forget-us-not Fairy Castle, Ron and April Gill, 1998

Created by Ron and April Gill, the Forget-Us-Not Fairy Castle was commissioned by Pat Arnell after a friendly lunch with the Gills in which they all realized that Pat’s collection did not include a castle. Pat determined that she should have one and the Gills agreed to create it for her. The castle is based…
Read more